By Erwin Mortelmans
Amid reports of ecommerce sales declining to pre-pandemic levels while costs for customer acquisition, retention, and logistics are on the rise, the already stiff competition among online sellers has intensified further. Ecommerce companies are therefore pressured to streamline their operations to gain a competitive edge. Outsourcing through managed services has emerged as a powerful strategy for optimizing efficiency and reducing costs. By entrusting non-core functions to specialized service providers, ecommerce companies can focus on their core competencies while benefiting from external expertise in various areas.
For an ecommerce business to maximize the benefits of managed services, they should consider the following:
- Identify Core Competencies. Before outsourcing any aspect of your ecommerce operations, thoroughly assess your business’s core competencies. Focus on retaining in-house expertise for activities that directly contribute to your competitive advantage, such as product or portfolio development Outsource non-core tasks such as logistics, customer support, or inventory management among others to specialized managed service providers. This will allow your team to focus on what they do best while leveraging external expertise for other functions.
Some tasks which you can outsource are:
– Customer Support
– Order Fulfillment and Logistics
– Content Writing and Copywriting
– Graphic Design
– Website Development and Maintenance
– Digital Marketing and SEO
– Accounting and Finance
– Data Entry and Management
– Social Media Management
– Product Photography
- Choose Reliable Partners. When selecting outsourcing partners, prioritize reliability and reputation. Conduct thorough research, check reviews, and seek recommendations to ensure you collaborate with reputable and experienced service providers with whom you can establish a relationship based on trust. Look for companies that have a proven track record in handling ecommerce operations and have a good understanding of your industry’s specific needs. For instance, your managed services partner should be flexible such that they are able to easily scale the team up or down in response to seasonal demands of your business.
- Establish Clear Communication Channels. Effective communication is crucial when outsourcing ecommerce operations. Set up clear communication channels and guidelines with your managed services partner. Schedule regular sharing of updates, performance metrics, and objectives to maintain transparency and ensure everyone is aligned with the overall business goals. Additionally, establish escalation procedures to address any potential issues promptly and avoid disruptions in your ecommerce workflow.
By following these three important steps, you can strategically streamline your ecommerce operations through managed services. When you can optimize the benefits of managed services for your ecommerce business operations, you should experience improved performance, enhanced growth, and sustainable competitive advantage in the dynamic digital marketplace.
Erwin is the Business Development Director at Eastvantage. He has demonstrated senior leadership in finding growth opportunities and forming strategic partnerships in the logistics, finance, oil and gas, and chemicals industries. He was active in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and Africa. With a degree in commercial engineering, Mortelmans is a results-driven relationship builder with solid commercial, business development, and managerial experience. Connect with Erwin via email or on LinkedIn to learn more about how managed services can help your ecommerce business remain competitive.
Eastvantage has been providing purpose-built outsourcing solutions for its global ecommerce clients. Check out how we’ve helped our clients succeedin the digital marketplace through our managed services.